Roadmap 2024

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Wed Jan 3 14:17:13 CET 2024

Hello,

with 2023 I continued the former PC suspend/resume work done in 2022 for
the NOVA kernel and integrated the feature also to base-hw.
Unfortunately, after the low level kernel work was in shape, various
higher rated work items led in the course of the year to insufficient
time to push this item appropriately, namely adjust all our device
drivers to play well after resume.

Beside quite a lot of customer triggered work, worth mentioning is the
update of seL4 to 12.1 and the update of the Intel device driver and the
subsequent backend integration changes towards usage of the DRM related
interfaces in our port. Additionally, I contributed various acpica and
usb-c attached display related fixes which also improved the Gen12
framework notebook support.

My former spare time developed and maintained x86 CPU Intel/AMD
power/frequency extension for the NOVA kernel got generalized and
streamlined to the Genode framework and is part of Sculpt OS.

In my Genode related spare time I maintained the experimental multihead
extension of the Intel display driver, which I use day-to-day. Beside
that, the actual most interesting and partially strenuous topic was for
me to take a deep dive into the x86 world to extend the Seoul VMM for
64bit guests. With the end of the year I got all pieces together and was
happy to operate my disposal 64bit Firefox VM for Intel and AMD. But the
actual icing on the cake was shortly before Christmas, where I could
replace vbox by Seoul to operate my day-to-day main developer VM - _grin_.

For 2024, presumably the PC suspend/resume topic related to our drivers
will keep me busy. Additionally, in general I'm interested to get/add a
general multi-head support for Genode, a port of Qemu to Genode with
goa?, a port of the AMD display driver part, e.g. pick up the work of
Josef of amdgpu_fp_drv, and various Seoul VMM improvements which
improves life further.

Cheers,

Alex.

--