PinePhone Sculpt Success

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Wed May 24 03:30:51 CEST 2023

Hello All,

I am happy to report that, after switching to a new SD card, I had
immediate success installing and running PinePhone Sculpt (3GB developer
edition).

Everything works as expected (except the SIM card, which I can
investigate further).  No more sluggishness or problems with screen
flickering.  At first, I thought "osci" wasn't working, but then I
noticed that the microphone was set to "Phone" instead of "On", and
changing that solved the problem.  PEBKAC!  ;^)

I would like to say that I really like the Leitzentrale design.  The
overall section-based design is clean and easy to navigate by finger,
and the presets concept is really handy.  The software adding/updating
system is really nice, and translates surprisingly well to the small
screen / touch interface.

One minor touch that I really appreciate is the Software section status
bar ("...", "!", etc.), which is subtle but highly informative, even
when looking at other sections - the "Genode Way" even in small details!
  (Likewise for the "+" indicator for charging.)

Overall, this is very impressive!  I can't wait to see the progress
continue, but I already leave the phone on all day with Sculpt running,
even though I'm not really using it, just because it's fun and gives me
hope for the future.  :^)  Actually, with a few more simple apps,
utilities, and/or games, I think the system is ready to be useful already.

Thanks for all the hard work!

  Happy Sculpting!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com