ath9k usb Wi-Fi driver

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Tue May 23 11:24:57 CEST 2023

Hi Colin,

On Mon, May 22, 2023 at 09:53:31PM -0400, Colin Parker wrote:
> As an update, I think I understand why the rt2x00 version cannot recover
> from the rfkill block. In addition to flushing the USBs tx queues, it also
> flushes the rx queue, which calls usb_kill_urb. I have emulated that
> function to simply wait for the packet to complete. For tx queues that's
> fine, either the transmission goes through or it errors and eventually it
> will clear. But rx urbs can sit indefinitely in the queue, and looking
> through the Usb::Connection interface and Packet_stream_tx I don't know if
> I can see a way to pull something out of the queue after it's been added.
> If I understand it right, that would require re-doing things in a pretty
> major way. But, on the bright side, if you don't use the rfkill feature
> (and you can always physically remove a USB device anyway), it's useable
> for me.

it looks like you nailed it. In the current setup, I would change an
USB client to close the USB session, and later re-open it again if
rfkill is triggered.
However, if it is not a pressing problem for you, I would postpone
such a change a bit, because we plan to re-work the USB session
anyway. With the result that a client can better handle dynamic
changes of its own (future) virtual USB bus, where it can claim and
release an USB interface, and different interface of one USB device
can get shared in between different drivers. This change will most
propably be implemented right this year, and of course we'll have to
adapt the USB-clients accordingly. We'll keep this use-case in our
heads when re-working the USB-session protocol.

Best regards
Stefan

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 11:40 AM Josef Söntgen <
> josef.soentgen at genode-labs.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Colin,
> >
> > > […]
> > >
> > > Josef I am curious if this version will also work for you?
> > >
> > > [1]
> > >
> > https://github.com/cvparker/genode-world/tree/ath9k_driver_support-2023-01-22
> > > [2]
> > https://github.com/cvparker/genode/tree/ath9k_driver_support-2023-01-22
> >
> > Thanks for your continous effort, I'll give your branches a try.
> >
> > Regards
> > Josef
> >
> > --
> > Josef Söntgen