Enumerating partitions, then "Error: Aborting: no partition table found."

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at genode-labs.com
Tue Mar 7 08:41:52 CET 2023

Hi,

> Anyway, the hard drive. It's an actual, old-fashioned hard drive, and
> I've accumulated 21 partitions on it.

As a heads-up: for the moment we only make the first 9 partitions available.
If you need to access a partition beyond that you need to apply something
like [1] and rebuild Sculpt.

[1] https://github.com/cnuke/genode/commit/08d34a4c9b32d116631b

> […]
> [core] [init -> runtime -> ahci-0.part_block] Partition 1: LBA 40 (119537688 blocks) type: [...]
>
> Then, immediately after it's listed them all, giving values that look correct...
>
> [core] [init -> runtime -> ahci-0.part_block] Error: Aborting: no partition table found.
> [core] [init -> runtime -> ahci-0.part_block] Error: Uncaught exception of type 'Block::Main::No_partition_table'
> [core] [init -> runtime -> ahci-0.part_block] Warning: abort called - thread: ep
> [core] [init -> log] Error: corrupted string
> [core] [init -> leitzentrale -> manager] Error: ahci-0.part_block got stuck
> […]

You will get this error if 'part_block' could not make use of either the
MBR or GPT. It parse the table and makes note of each valid partition it
encounters [2], [3]. For whatever reasons none of them appears to be valid.

[2] repos/os/src/server/part_block/mbr.h:273
[3] repos/os/src/server/part_block/gpt.h:431

- What kind of partition table type do you use?
- In case of MBR do you only use extended partitions?

If you like contact my off-list and provide the complete table (LBA,
size and type is sufficient).

Regards
Josef

--