Sculpt 22.10 not working on Thinkpad X201

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Wed Mar 1 08:17:35 CET 2023

Hi,

On 28.02.23 14:46, dogma--- via users wrote:
> I tried commenting out the graphics-related lines in the GRUB config files to see what it might display. But I just got "Booting 'Genode on NOVA'" and a blinking cursor. Perhaps it relies on GRUB setting up the graphics state anyway.

no, the graphical boot mode is not strictly required for Intel based systems.

Which CPU do you have in your X201, in mine is a Intel (R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 520 @ 2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM, 1280x800 resolution.

- Can you try another USB stick, just in case ?
- You may try to remove the 'iommu' line from the hypervisor module2 boot entry in grub.cfg, which may make a difference.
- In legacy BIOS boot mode (which seems apply to you), you may also try to remove the 'novga' commandline from the hypervisor module2. In case something  goes wrong very early, the kernel message may give a hint. (but this will give you no output from Genode system itself)

- If nothings helps, we would need a log of your system to assist further.
-- You may try to setup the report_dump component [0], which would dump all logs kept in memory to your USB stick, if the system comes up far enough. However, this would require another machine, where Sculpt OS boots up fine and you can configure it according to [0].
-- Or, enable some serial output device, either Intel AMT SOL [1] (if supported for your X201) or plug in a PCMCIA serial card. You would need (slightly) to re-configure Sculpt, see [2]. Add at the 7. step a 'LOG=core' to the command, e.g. 'LOG=core make -C build/x86_64 run/sculpt KERNEL=nova BOARD=pc'. The log output of Genode would now go over your serial device and you may capture it.

Hope it helps bit,

Alex.

[0] https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-vc#Sculpt_as_a_hardware-probing_instrument
[1] https://genodians.org/chelmuth/2019-01-16-test-machine