Screensaver for the PinePhone

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Jun 30 16:29:16 CEST 2023

To all Sculpt-OS-on-the-PinePhone testers,

I have just published a new Sculpt OS image for the PinePhone that
includes a screensaver mode to increase battery time. You can download
the image with version 2023-06-30 at [1], or use Sculpt's built-in
system update feature, selecting me (nfeske) as image provider, and
download and install the latest entry of my index.

[1] https://depot.genode.org/nfeske/image/

The screensaver kicks in after ten seconds of user inactivity in the
administrative user interface. It also can be manually activated by
pressing the power button. While the screen is blanked, a press of the
power button enables the display again.

Under the hood, Sculpt completely removes the drivers for the display
and the touchscreen while the screen is blanked, which considerably
reduces the power draw. The system also switches the CPU to economic
mode while the screen is blanked. Here are some illustrative data points:

Max brightness in performance mode: 2.8 W
Max brightness in economic mode:    2.6 W
Low brightness in economic mode:    1.7 W
Screensaver:                        1.0 W

As a caveat, I noticed that the screen-flickering issue, we sporadically
observed in the past, occurs quite often when returning from the
screensaver (aka after restarting the drivers). The flickering
disappears after a while. However, maybe this way of reproducing the
issue gives us the chance to eventually solve it.

Have fun with trying out the new image!