ath9k usb Wi-Fi driver

Colin Parker cvparker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 19 05:43:25 CEST 2023

Hi Josef,

We looked at the problem and could you give this commit [1] a try (it is
> still WIP and not finalized). It might be helpful to add a diagnostic
> message to 'alloc' in 'usb/packet_handler.h' to see when the situation
> occurs.
>
> [1] https://github.com/cnuke/genode/commit/8b4896e7

I think I understand the logic of this commit, and in general it seems to
me a better way of handling the scheduling. I used cherry-pick to add it to
my branch [1], and it seemed to work the same as before. That said, I am
unable to trigger the signal handler issue with my hardware, even using
'sudo ping -f'.

> 1. Adapt your current version (that is based on the PC platform) by
>    using the PC wifi driver as a template to the way the other drivers
>    are by now implemented. That could involve making additions to the
>    wireless stack but that's fine as merging your changes eventually
>    would be the preferred way.

Ok, I think there won't need to be many changes to the wireless stack, but
the USB emulation code needs to be somewhere. So I suppose I should add a
lx_emul_usb.c to the dde_linux/lib/wifi directory, and besides that it will
require the code from wlan_usb.cc and wlan_usb.h to be copied somewhere. As
a most convenient option that can be in the same directory. Alternatively
such code could live somewhere in lx_kit/lx_emul independent of wifi, if
someone wanted to use it for porting another type of USB device driver, but
for now that might be too optimistic.

-CP

[1] https://github.com/cvparker/genode/tree/usb_wifi-2023-06-18