Screensaver for the PinePhone

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Wed Jul 5 14:16:53 CEST 2023

Hi John,

> One very minor quirk I noticed: it seems that before blanking the screen
> every second time, it goes back to the default setting for screen
> brightness.  I normally set mine to level 2, and after the first wake-up
> it stays at 2, but immediately before sleeping the next time (barely
> visible for a split-second) it goes back to 4.  Not a problem; just
> mentioning it in case it illuminates something deeper.

well spotted! Thank you for testing.

The interactive brightness adjustment is currently handled directly be
the power driver, not involving the display driver. This is arguably a
shortcut that cuts us now. Upon (re-)starting the display driver, the
new driver instance applies the driver's default again. It will probably
be the best to equip the display driver with the ability to handle
brightness changes and remove the brightness handling from the power driver.

> My biggest observation is how easy the on-device update process is.
> Thanks a million for implementing this!  It reduces the barrier to
> basically zero.  I have very little free time these days, but even I can
> press a few buttons and test something new!

That's what I was hoping for. :)