Screensaver for the PinePhone

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Sun Jul 2 21:30:15 CEST 2023

On 6/30/23 10:29, Norman Feske wrote:
> To all Sculpt-OS-on-the-PinePhone testers,
>
> I have just published a new Sculpt OS image for the PinePhone that
> includes a screensaver mode to increase battery time. You can download
> the image with version 2023-06-30 at [1], or use Sculpt's built-in
> system update feature, selecting me (nfeske) as image provider, and
> download and install the latest entry of my index.

[snip]

Worked like a charm!  Everything worked exactly as you described,
including the occasional screen flicker (except the screen idle time
seems to be nearer to 5 seconds than 10).

Removing the drivers entirely is a very interesting proof-of-concept.  I
am still amazed at the amount of investigative research that you guys
still do, considering how mature the project is!  It's never boring
around here.  :^)

One very minor quirk I noticed: it seems that before blanking the screen
every second time, it goes back to the default setting for screen
brightness.  I normally set mine to level 2, and after the first wake-up
it stays at 2, but immediately before sleeping the next time (barely
visible for a split-second) it goes back to 4.  Not a problem; just
mentioning it in case it illuminates something deeper.

My biggest observation is how easy the on-device update process is.
Thanks a million for implementing this!  It reduces the barrier to
basically zero.  I have very little free time these days, but even I can
press a few buttons and test something new!

Please keep the test updates coming!

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com