Roadmap 2023

Pirmin Duss pirmin at trimpim.ch
Tue Jan 10 19:12:40 CET 2023

Hello Norman

On 12/26/22 16:58, Norman Feske wrote:
> What about you?
> ---------------
>
> Even though I hope that the thoughts above resonate with you, I'm pretty
> sure you have different perspectives. Please share them!
>
> How did you perceive the Genode year 2022?

Most of my time working with Genode is related to my job. Privately i
did build a test machine to run Genode on. The onboard Nic of this
machine isn't supported by the ipxe network driver. Therefore I started
porting the intel_igc driver from Linux. I hope I can finish this soon.
The original plan was to port the AMD Radeon drivers (Framebuffer) from
Linux. This was interrupted by the intel_igc driver thou.

> What directions are you most excited about?

As I want to replace my main setup (Linux/KVM with virtual machines for
different tasks) with a Genode system. I'm very interested in everything
related to things that enable Genode to run on my main desktop machine.

Two points that Alex brought up caught my attention:
  - Extended multi monitor
  - support for AMD GPUs. This I have on my task list for some time now,
unfortunately I never had time to do it.

An other point I'm interested in, is Genode on the PinePhone (mine
should arrive on Friday). One thing I would want to use this for, is
thedering in locations with no WiFi but LTE coverage. This can currently
be done via the LAN port of the dock I think.

One point that is probably not that easy and further out, is the
possibility to pass through a PCI device (Graphics cart) directly to a
virtual machine.

> Which topics do you deem as interesting to explore yourself?
> Do you already happen to have rough plans about 2023?

First of all I want to finish the port of the intel_igc driver.

Second, now that support to port libraries with Goa is nearing
completion, I would like to use this to port neovim to Genode. Not that
vim isn't enough to edit files. I would like to test out, what can be
achieved that way.

If there is time left I would like to help in porting AMD Radeon drivers
from Linux and test them.

Cheers Pirmin