genode show-and-tell, screencast to help with vbox6 challenges?

ttcoder at netcourrier.com ttcoder at netcourrier.com
Mon Jan 9 07:40:04 CET 2023

I'm still trying to understand the relationship between Genode and Sculpt. Reading through the "Genode Live System" github issue thread, It sounds like back in 2016, the developers had no desire to build a live-cd version of the framework (it would have been a distraction and tons of work to do, for little perceived benefit), but by 2018, were able to see their way clear to put Sculpt OS out (which is way more than a live-cd demo of the framework, and is more akin to a proof of concept turned useful experimental operating system). Does that sound right?

While waiting for Norman et al to chime in, I'd say yes. At least that's how I see it from the small handful of years I've followed the evolution.

Here's a (tangential ?) thought on the current conversation: (or, "how to answer a question nobody asked", lol)

SculptOS is targetted to a "power users" public, but it seems to me this is really not a mandatory consequence of using the Genode "lego bricks" to assemble an operating system : you can clearly assemble them to make an OS aimed at a more general public, who wants to use the terminal as little as possible, wants the OS configured "out of the box" etc. The way I understand it, the three OS projects (that I've seen mentionned here in the past) all seem to be doing so.

(hopefully this won't result in a situation where only SculptOS users, i.e. power users, benefit from the full security model provided by Genode, and users of the other three have lesser security, that would be a shame. At my end eventually I'll try to live up to the awesome foundation I'm building on, though I can't promise anything this "early" in the game)

Cedric