PP GUI

ttcoder at netcourrier.com ttcoder at netcourrier.com
Fri Jan 6 12:51:49 CET 2023

Hi Norman,

> [1] https://genodians.org/nfeske/2023-01-05-mobile-user-interface
>
> The "left" side relies on Genode's native widget renderer (menu_view).
> The "right" side offers complete freedom. One user may host a single Qt
> app at a time, another user may host an SDL game, or even host a custom
> UI mimicking a commodity smartphone experience (launcher + switching
> between apps). So we can explore different directions without the need
> to agree on the one best way.

Looking good, both for the existing state and for the future prospects : looking forward to the pre-built
image. Thanks for expanding on this topic, which I recall had been touched in some of the 22.x release notes.

In the coming months I might get some ideas maturing in my head for the "right hand side UI' ;
in order to get on the keyboard and code said ideas myself I would normally have to install
Linux and the Genode ARM toolchain, but now that I say it out loud, maybe there's an easier
way : prototyping GUI ideas directly on x86_64 with my existing setup (and probably in Qemu).
That's what I was doing during my brief contract stint on LVGL, I was using the SDL-based 'device simulator'
makefile most of the time, before building/uploading an actual target binary build to the device to test 'for real'
and refine my code, We'll see what my future holds in terms of spare time, and whether or not I can think of UI
designs that improve on the existing in significant ways. Thanks for all you do !

Cedric