Roadmap 2023

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Jan 6 11:43:28 CET 2023

Hi Stefan,

> I would like to finalize the platform support for the MNT Reform 2.
> Now, I can drive most devices, and the virtualization solution on ARM
> has evolved too. Anyway, WIFI and audio support is still missing.
> Moreover, the virtualization solution will probably show some issues
> in daily life usage. Shared folder support is an open issue here. And
> I have to decide how to deal whith scenarios where I've used
> Virtualbox with USB device passthrough in the past (USB UART terminal,
> etc.)

thank you for adding these two topics to the discussion. Personally, I'm
eager to use Wifi and Audio on the MNT Reform for my Atari-related
cross-development leisure activities.

The second point touches the broader issue of current usability
limitations of Sculpt OS. Even though Sculpt works reliably, some work
flows remain a bit clunky, especially the dynamic assignment of files
and directories to components, which was mentioned by Johannes already.
I sense that we can nicely improve the convenience of the Leitzentrale
UI with a few non-disruptive changes. So for the road map, we should
consider Sculpt OS usability as a worthwhile theme.

> Personally I wouldn't like to loose sight of the changes in
> progress that did not finished yet. For instance, we have already
> changed a number of driver ports to use the new porting approach and a
> recent original code base. But few drivers and protocol stacks are
> still missing, first and foremost the Linux IP/Stack (4.4.3), the USB
> client driver ports like HID and NIC, the IPXE NIC drivers with known
> restarting issues, USB host driver relicts for RPI1 and
> i.MX6, etc.. I feel responsible at least to take part in releasing from old
> burdens.

I wholeheartedly agree. The sooner we get over these hurdles, the better
for all of us. The mentioned update of lxIP may be related to the IPv6
interest expressed by Christian. That said, the maintenance nature of
those topics makes them probably too technical to advertise them on the
official road map.