Roadmap 2023

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Jan 5 11:33:17 CET 2023

Hello Sebastian,

>> What directions are you most excited about?
>
> For 2023 I am of course excited about our upcoming PinePhone field test,
> where we will use the phone on a daily basis. With the goal to make
> system updates easy I hope we will find a workflow where bugs can be
> fixed and features be added quickly in order to make the phone as
> reliable and fast as we aim for.

with the help of your persistence - thinking of the tricky audio
routing, telephony, and mobile data connectivity - we already have come
such a long way! Your statement gives me great confidence that Genode
will eventually rock the PinePhone. :)

>> Which topics do you deem as interesting to explore yourself?
>> Do you already happen to have rough plans about 2023?
>
> Can it run Doom? Better question: Can it run Doom3?
>
> I have ported the Doom3 dhewm3 [1] engine to Genode as a Goa [2] project
> [3] which I used as a meaningful 3D workload in order to test feature
> completeness and performance of our Intel based 3D stack. By now it runs
> at 60 FPS on newer Intel hardware, proofing this is a feasible way.
> Having dug more deeply into the 3D graphics area during the last few
> years, the Vulkan API comes to mind. The direction Vulkan is taking
> feels like the right way to go at the moment and I would like to enable
> support for Vulkan within our Mesa library port. I am still looking for
> a suitable workload, though.

Thanks for sharing the links to your Doom3 port.

The topics you mentioned are a welcome and natural continuation of the
achievements of 2022. I see the confrontation of our GPU driver with
heavy workloads as the ultimate proof for its fitness. Your anticipation
of more modern GPU APIs fits nicely into the picture. I wonder how
concrete your ideas are? Specifically, do you think that Vulkan should
get a mention at the road map? If so, how should we frame it best?