Roadmap 2023

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Jan 3 15:32:50 CET 2023

Hi Cedric,

thank you for contributing your unique perspective.

> Hence : I'll keep an eye out for Genode. Those start-up times sound
> impressive. The intended use for her will be somewhat limited :
> sending SMS's, Matrix or Discord, photo album, maybe a bit of web
> browsing. VPN features would be quite intriguing, in this day and
> age.
When Sculpt on the PinePhone happens to achieve compatibility with the
needs of your SO, we will have made it! :)

> In the spirit of good Q.A., I started running that "distro" on metal
> for several hours every day, to accumulate mileage, before I
> hopefully ship to an unsuspecting public in 2023.
It's amazing to see how far your project has come.

> * Dynamic vfs mounting:

We will need this sooner or later. As you just stated, the devil lies in
the details, in particular the lifetime management of open VFS handles.
However, I keep spinning this problem in the back of my head. As
preparatory work for enhancements like this, I'm currently in the
process of consolidating and simplifying the VFS [1].

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/4706

Once I'm through with this, we can approach the trickiness with a
simpler code base to play with.

> * Drag'n'drop ("cooperative"):

Another very good point, which happens to be relevant to the PinePhone
as well. Some time ago, I even sketched some ideas [2] but never came
around implementing them.

[2]
https://www.genode-labs.com/publications/secure-gui-2009.pdf#subsection.4.3.5

> I try to pay you guys back by filing detailed and helpful tickets and such.

It's a joy!