Roadmap 2023

Samuel Crow samuraileumas at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 5 05:03:05 CET 2023

Thanks for your reply, Norman!

The reason I thought of using WebAssembly modules as a distribution method was that
Linux graphics drivers are seldom as independent of binary blobs as other Linux
drivers.  One NVidia card I had had become incompatible with the Linux kernel
during an upgrade despite having worked well for years.  Linux has an unstable
ABI so the binary blobs within the closed-source driver didn't have the correct
offsets for the kernel modules after the version 5 kernel update.

Recently, NVidia started embedding RISC-V controllers into their cards so that the
drivers can be implemented as a simple message passing driver instead of the
elaborate driver designs of the past.  This makes their pledges of making closed
source drivers on Linux a thing of the past, a reasonable thing to expect.

I hope that other drivers can become pure open-source as well.  With network
adapters, I'm not so hopeful.  That's why I think that the binary blobs used by
the network adapter companies are WebAssembly outside the browser.  It might not
happen overnight but as WebAssembly compilers become better, perhaps binary blobs
will become a thing of the past or at least use a common bytecode like WebAssembly.

Maybe next year the backlash against binary blobs will become sufficient to adopt
new standards.  Until then, I'm looking forward to a Genode PinePhone.

Sincerely,

Samuel D. Crow