Roadmap 2023

Pontus Åström ponast at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 08:00:00 CET 2023

Hello Norman and Christian,

I would like to shine some light on the parts of Genode that I like
the best and which I think deserve some consideration in this years
road map. I think that Genode shines in the domain of secure
networking. Martin Stein has developed many great components that are
very powerful in this area like the Wireguard component and the CBE
with ADA. I also remember a root of trust device that was planned that
would be very handy and that fits well in this category. In this years
road map I like Christians IPv6 work for the Nic Router as that fills
a hole in the current setup. If this area could get some consideration
so that long term plans for the various components in this range that
still are in the pre-release stage became known that would be great.

Cheers,
Pontus

On Mon, Dec 26, 2022 at 4:59 PM Norman Feske
<norman.feske at genode-labs.com> wrote:

> Dear Genode Community,
>
> hereby, I'd like to kick off our yearly brainstorming about Genode's
> road map for the upcoming year. Please feel invited to chime in, sharing
> your personal observations and plans. By mid of January, I will update
> Genode's official road map, trying to weave one reasonable plan out of
> our individual interests.
>
> Let me start with my personal reflection of the past year and the topics
> that I find tempting for 2023.
>

> Review of the past year
> -----------------------
>
> My Genode year revolved all around the PinePhone, which was an extremely
> challenging and rewarding experience.
>
> Driven by the vision of a Genode-based smartphone, I had to tackle
> topics ranging from the schematics of the device, over plenty of
> peripheral drivers, up to the user-interface level. Along the way, I
> found myself entrenched in a staggering variety of topics. To name a
> few: A custom Forth interpreter for our firmware for the PinePhone's
> system-control processor, programmed in OpenRISC assembler. Implementing
> a low-complexity AT-protocol stack talking to the modem, enabling voice
> telephony and mobile-data connectivity. Coming up with a suitable
> user-interface concept for the mobile variant of Sculpt OS, and
> implementing it. The exploration and implementation of power-management
> features like voltage and frequency scaling. Reducing the time from cold
> start to the user interface to only 5 seconds. Getting the application
> performance up to an acceptable level, grabbing all straws in reach.
>
> This was of course not a one-man show but a team effort. I found myself
> very happy being strongly supported by Christian, Sebastian, Josef, and
> Stefan who played huge roles in wrestling with the hardware and
> ultimately enabling scenarios like media playback in the Morph browser
> on the PinePhone.
>
> The result makes me immensely proud. Moreover, we haven't just managed
> to get it to work, but we gained detailed guidance documentation [1] as
> a collateral effect. The main motivation behind my laborious writing
> effort was to lower the barrier of entry for others who wish to port
> Genode to further mobile platforms in the future. Let's see how this
> plays out.
>
> [1] https://genode.org/documentation/genode-platforms-22-05.pdf
>

> Interests for 2023
> ------------------
>
> Personally, there are four main interests, I'd like to focus on now.
>

> 1. Completing the support for the PinePhone
>
> Genode on the PinePhone evidently works now. But I want to make it rock!
> I'm eager to implement a prolonged standby mode that will allow me to
> leave the phone unplugged for a week while staying receptive for calls.
> I want to make the installation and use of custom software an easy and
> enjoyable experience. Finally, by integrating privacy-protecting
> functions like the file vault or WireGuard VPN support, the mobile
> [...]

Hälsningar,

Pontus