Roadmap 2024

Michael Grunditz michael.grunditz at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 21:15:08 CET 2023

On Thu, 21 Dec 2023 at 16:58, Norman Feske <norman.feske at genode-labs.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> in his most recent posting, Credric already noted that now is the time
> of year again to reflect on our achievements of this year and to
> anticipate topics to pursue next year. To keep up with this fine
> tradition, let me kick off our road-map discussion with my personal
> perspective.
>

> Reflections of 2023
>
> As indicated by the overarching theme of the last roadmap "Rocking the
> platforms we support!", Genode's four releases of 2023 had a strong
> focus on low-level platform work. This has been especially visible on
> modern PC platforms like the Gen12 Framework laptop I have under my
> fingertips right now. At the beginning of 2023, Sculpt OS was in
> principle working on this machine, but with compromises that spoiled the
> user experience: fan noise, an erratic touchpad (using the firmware's
> PS/2 emulation), Fn key having no effect, strange issues when
> re-plugging an external display, and no indication of the battery state.
> In the meantime, not only are all these rough edges gone, but we even
> gained the ability to exercise precise control over the machine'
> performance/frequency/temperature/power characteristics using an
> interactive GUI. I think it's fair so say that Genode advanced far
> beyond the state of "working" and has entered the territory of "rocking".
>
> I wish to name four further personal highlights of the year:
>
> First, we got the mobile version of Sculpt OS into the hands of a pilot
> group of users who provided instructive feedback to us. From my
> perspective, the system-update mechanism that I created for this purpose
> turned out to be an almost pivotal point in the evolution of Sculpt OS
> because it reduces the effort and risk of test-driving experimental
> versions to almost zero. It was a pleasure to see how e.g., Johannes
> leveraged this new way of gathering feedback for his IOMMU line of work.
> Providing system images for testing has become a second nature.
>
> Second, the road map for 2023 envisioned Sculpt OS running on our custom
> base-hw kernel on the PC. We identified DMA protection and
> virtualization support as the two remaining showstoppers. With much
> excitement, I followed how both of these deeply technical topics got
> covered over the course of the year.
>
> Third, Goa finally emerged from a personal project of mine to an
> official Genode project led by Johannes. I'm stunned how much the
> project benefited from this change. All of the remaining backlog of my
> vague plans - I'm thinking of the index-project support or bash
> completion - got eventually realized in a way true to the spirit of the
> project. The fate of the Goa tool makes me immensely happy.
>
> Fourth, during the first half of the year, I found myself intensively
> working on Genode's new debug-monitor component, pursuing the idea to
> implement a debugging instrument as a specialized version of init
> [...]

I started out 2023 very ambitious, porting Genode to rockchip 3528.
For various reasons I needed to work on other projects. My plan for
2024 is to add RK3399 as a sub target. That means Pinebook Pro and
Pinephone Pro. I guess that those two targets are wanted.

I also would like to see a layer for USB controllers like EHCI and
XHCI. I would be most happy if someone can walk me thru the pc usb
stack. I would like to cut lose EHCI from it and use that in my ports.
I believe that this is better than using linux driver all up to the
actual stack.

 I wish you all happy holidays!

Michael Grunditz