Trying to understand how capabilities are implemented

Martin Stein martin.stein at genode-labs.com
Mon Aug 21 11:26:56 CEST 2023

Hi Albin!

On 19.08.23 03:35, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
> 1. The RPC object A is created inside the protection domain 1, which result in the object identity A being created by the kernel.
>
> 2. A has a name, which is a natural number.
>     Q1: Is the RPC object's name the value of a class variable of type int?

In short: Yes, you can consider it a simple integer that is known to
both the kernel and the affected user-land program. The name references
this object only within this one program (respectively protection domain).

Just in case you're interested in some code background:

In header [1] you can find the classes Rpc_object and Rpc_entrypoint - a
thread that is used for handling RPCs on RPC objects. An RPC object
initially comes without a capability (the objects name), but a
capability is created and returned when linking the object via
Rpc_entrypoint::manage to an entrypoint. At this point the object
becomes ready to be called from outside the program.

As you can see in header [2], Capability has no members but inherits
from Untyped_capability, AKA Native_capability, which contains a pointer
_data. Now, this is where it becomes platform-specific. However, a very
simple case is the "base-hw" kernel. There, the _data pointer itself (as
long value) is used as local name of the object [4]. This long value is
the name that is registered in the domain's cap space inside the kernel
for that particular RPC object.

> 3. Protection domain 1 has a capability space insied the kernel.
>     Q2: Is the protection domain seperate from the capability space in the kernel, and they're "connected" with some map somewhere?

In general, this is very kernel-specific. However, I know the internals
only for the "base-hw" kernel. In this kernel, the cap space is not
separate from its protection domain. Each domain object [5] contains a
tree _cap_tree of all RPC object names known to this domain (see [6] for
more details).

>     Q3: Is the capability space a map between natural numbers and some form of address to the object identity? I.e. the map work similar to a set of OO references, there the keys are variable names; and the values are the memory addresses of object identities.

Again very kernel-specific and, again, my knowledge about "base-hw": In
this kernel your depiction is very accurate. Each RPC object name is an
Object_identity_reference in the kernel and contains a pointer
Object_identity *_identity.

>     Q4: If the answer to Q3 is yes, does that mean that delegagion is some form of mechanism to share the adress of the object identity with other protection domains?

If I understand you correctly, yes and no. To the user it looks like
sharing an address in OO but you might better think of it as sharing the
_ability_ to access the object. In contrast to address sharing,
delegation creates a new local name/reference for the object identity in
the target domain/cap space. In my domain the object might be referenced
by the name "3" while in a domain I have delegated to, the object might
be referenced by the name "987". However, even if delegation would
result in the same name "3", the link between this name and the object
is unique to the target domain as is that between my "3" and the object.
This is well illustrated by § 3.1 Figure 3 in the book.

I hope that was helpful!?

[1] base/include/base/rpc_server.h
[2] base/include/base/capability.h
[3] base/include/base/native_capability.h
[4] base-hw/src/lib/base/capability.cc:59
[5] base-hw/src/core/kernel/pd.h
[6] base-hw/src/core/kernel/object.h