Avoiding fetchurl restarts

Timo Nicolai timo.nicolai at gapfruit.com
Wed Apr 12 09:05:21 CEST 2023

Dear Genodians,

I have noticed that at least when running on Linux, the fetchurl
component started by depot_download_manager will always restart
immediately after it is first executed (before anything has been
downloaded). After that the download proceeds as normal.

This is because Fetchurl_watchdog uses trigger_periodic to trigger the
timer handler which checks the current download progress. As a
consequence, this handler /might/ be called immediately, before fetchurl
has had the chance to do any work.

I believe this is a bug, but one that might not manifest on all
platforms due to the uncertain timing introduced by trigger_periodic.

I have attached a potential patch, if this sounds okay to you I will
open an Issue on GitHub.

Best regards, Timo

--
Timo Nicolai