PinePhone image 2023-04-06 (wifi, software-add tab, Jitsi preset)

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Apr 6 18:46:23 CEST 2023

Hello again,

while playing with the new image, I already encountered a few caveats
worth sharing.

- When entering a wrong WPA passphrase, the touch-screen keyboard
   does not re-appear. As a workaround, touch the network section
   (folding it) and touch it again (unfolding it). Now the keyboard
   should re-appear. I guess the toggling of the touch-screen-keyboard
   needs a bit more work.

- When a lot of things are shown on screen, touch events are handled
   slowly or be missed. I.e., when inserting a WPA passphrase, one
   should type slowly.

- When playing videos on the web browser, the sound is somewhat
   distorted, like overdriven.

- While scouting for components in the depot menus of the various
   pre-configured providers (besides me), you won't find many working
   components. That is because the image still pretends being a Sculpt
   22.10 system while not actually being binary-compatible with this
   version. This inconsistency will disappear with the upcoming
   official release of Sculpt 23.04.

A few tips for your experimentation:

As a life hack to avoid typing the same WPA passphrase again and again,
we can exploit the fact that the underpinning of the system is a regular
Sculpt OS. After connecting once to your wireless network, you can do
the following:

1. Switch to the system-shell preset

2. Issue the following commands to the system shell

    mkdir -p /rw/config/22.10
    cp /config/managed/wifi /rw/config/22.10/

Whenever Sculpt OS starts, the content of /rw/config/22.10/ is copied to
/config (see [1]). Now, with the hard-defined wifi configuration, we
join the AP immediately when the wifi driver comes up. As a minor
downside, the interactive AP selection is no longer offered. To revive
it, remove the /config/wifi file using the system shell.

Note that also all the other Sculpt OS tricks work. For example, when
saving a copy of /config/managed/nic_router to /rw/config/22.10 while
being connected to wifi, you can hard-wire the selection of the network
uplink to wifi, sparing you the manual activation of wifi right after
booting.

Or, as another nicety, if you always want to enjoy the nano3d preset
right after boot:

   cp /config/presets/nano3d /rw/config/22.10/deploy

Happy tinkering and testing!

Norman

[1]
https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-22-10#Making_customizations_permanent