Rust bindings?

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Thu Sep 8 10:26:08 CEST 2022

Hi Sam,

On 07.09.22 21:28, Sam Crow via users wrote:
> Are there Rust bindings for Genode yet?  If not, can I help get them going?

I am not away of any current Rust-related work.

Back in 2016, Rust support was first added to the framework [1] as a
one-off community contribution. We maintained this work until 2019 but
eventually removed it [2]. This history notwithstanding, I think that
the integration of Rust-based software into Genode systems gets more and
more desirable.

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/pull/1899
[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/3488

Nowadays, I would recommend approaching the support of Rust by using the
Goa tool [3]. Instead of adding Rust support to the Genode build system
and force Genode's work flow on Rust developers, Goa could be extended
to convince Rust's natural tools (e.g., cargo) to produce
Genode-compatible binaries. So developers can keep up their familiar
work flows when targeting Genode.

Goa already shows how that can be done for projects based on CMake,
Autoconf, and QMake. So I'd recommend to explore the opportunity of
integrating Rust support into Goa, targeting Genode's libc as platform
(which is largely compatible with FreeBSD's libc). For a start, you may
consider the "Step-by-step tutorials" referenced in the README of Goa.

[3] https://github.com/nfeske/goa