Using Quectel EG25-G in ECM mode on PC

Sebastian Sumpf Sebastian.Sumpf at genode-labs.com
Thu Sep 1 16:57:39 CEST 2022

Hello Pirmin,

On 9/1/22 15:23, Duss Pirmin wrote:
> Hello Genodians
>
> In the Release notes, I read that on the Pinephone it is possible to use the
> Quectel EG25-G in ECM mode to communicate over LTE. Which I find is a really
> great feature.
>
> We have a hardware (UP-Xtreme i7 8th gen) which comes with the same modem. I
> really like the idea of using the modem in this way.
>
> As far as I understand, the run script `run/modem_pinephone.run` of the
> `genode-allwinner` repository does exactly that.
>
> My plan is to create a PC version of `pinephone_modem` that controls the modem.
> Do you think, this is possible?

It should be possible in general since communication with the modem only uses AT
commands.

> Currently I do not have a idea what serial port I should use to connect to the
> command channel of the modem. On the Pinephone, `ns16550_uart` is used to do that.
>
> Which serial port should be used on the PC platform?

I think on the PC the modem will expose USB-Serial ports (ttyUSB<x> and
friends). You can try this by connection via a terminal emulator (e.g., picocom,
minicom) to it:

! picocom -b 115200 /dev/ttyUSB2

Enter:
! AT

Return:
! OK

If the "AT" command gives you an "OK", you found the correct device. Note the
modem exposes four UARTs. If this all is the case, a USB serial driver that
exposes a terminal session  (like PL2303 [1]) is needed on Genode. I don't know
exactly what kind of USB UART adapter the modem exposes right now. Maybe it's
already PL2303. I will check.

[1] repos/dde_linux/src/server/usb_terminal

Cheers,

Sebastian