using GOA to port libraries

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Nov 11 09:05:07 CET 2022

Hi Pirmin,

as a word of caution, we haven't used Goa for the porting of libraries
yet. In particular, the linking arguments for building shared objects
are currently not handled by Goa. Goa is also not equipped with a way to
publish a library's ABI (symbol file + headers). We eventually want to
go in this direction, but you are the first. ;-)

> If I issue `goa build` successfully runs `cmake` but building fails
> afterward. There are a lot of `[-Werror=effc++]`.
>
> I tired different ways to set `CC_CXX_WARN_STRICT=` in the files
> `cmake_args` and `make_args`. Unfortunately none of them helped.

The strict default can be overridden in the two following ways.

1. Telling goa to be less strict at the command line:

    $ goa build --no-warn-strict

2. Placing a .goarc file in your project directory with the
    following line:

    set warn_strict 0

BTW, while investigating your question, I noticed a slight inconsistency
in the documentation of Goa's configuration ('goa help config') that I
fixed just now. So thanks for bringing up the topic.