Launchers 101

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Wed May 18 23:54:50 CEST 2022

On 5/18/22 15:39, Sebastian Sumpf wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> On 5/18/22 08:09, Duss Pirmin wrote:
>> Hello John
>>

>> On 17.05.22 19:14, John J. Karcher wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is there an introductory article about creating launchers in Sculpt,
>>> preferably from the config for a running component?  I thought I saw
>>> something like that, but I can't seem to find it.
>>
>> If you have a component running (see /config/managed/deploy), it is
>> relatively easy.
>>
>> - Copy the whole start node of the component in to a new file
>> (/config/launchers).
>> - replace `start`  with `launcher` and remove the name attribute (this
>> is determined by the name of the launcher file).
>> - if it works store it in the persistent config.
>
> As an addition, you can copy your launcher to:
>
> '<used-file-system>/config/<Sculpt-Version>/launcher/' , for example,
>
> !  cp /config/launcher/test /rw/config/22.04/launcher/
>
> when using the system shell.
>
> This way the launchers will be restored to '/config/launcher' upon next
> usage of the file-system (in case it is persistent). The same goes for
> the 'deploy' file. In case you want to restore your whole setup upon
> next usage copy:
>
> /config/managed/deploy to /rw/config/22.04/deploy
>
> Note that you have to update these files with each Sculpt release
> because the packet versions will change.

Thanks Pirmin and Sebastian!  I thought it was something like that, but
I couldn't remember the details (or where I read it).

This seems like it would be a neat function to add to the Leitzentrale
GUI - maybe a "Create Launcher" button inside the Component detail,
beside "Restart" and "Remove".  ("Edit Config" would probably be nice also.)

  Happy Sculpting!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com