Announcement: Genode OS Framework version 22.02 released

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Mon Feb 28 16:08:02 CET 2022

We just released Genode version 22.02 today.

  https://genode.org/news/genode-os-framework-release-22.02

One highlight of this version is the transformation of Sculpt OS into a
framework for custom system images, thereby making Sculpt's flexible
architecture easily available for the creation of special-purpose OS
appliances. A first example of such an appliance is the bare-bones
Sculpt OS version for the Pinephone that I demonstrated at my recent
FOSDEM talk. Another example is the ability to run Sculpt OS atop Linux
for rapid development and debugging.

Another major feature is the new ability to use 3D acceleration for
guest OSes running in VirtualBox 6. This became possible thanks to
various optimizations and robustness improvements of the underlying
Intel GPU stack.

A third prominent topic is the continued work on device drivers. This
time, we started to apply our new DDE-Linux approach to PC drivers,
taking a fresh port of a USB host-controller driver as the first
example. Another noteworthy driver-related development is the gained
ability to access the modem on the Pinephone.

Quick summary of the topics:

- Framework for special-purpose Sculpt-based operating systems
  - First version Sculpt OS on the Pinephone
  - Sculpt OS running on the Linux kernel
- Modularized source-code organization
- Base framework and OS-level infrastructure
  - Tightened API and default warning levels
  - VFS plugin for packet-level network access
  - Black-hole server component
- Device drivers
  - New Linux-device-driver environment for PC drivers
  - GPU-driver improvements
  - Pinephone modem access
- Audio improvements and 3D acceleration for VirtualBox 6
- Completed C and stdc++ support for the RISC-V architecture

The complete picture is given by the official release documentation:

  https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/22.02

Have fun with exploring the new release!