SulptOS with Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 + theming

ttcoder at netcourrier.com ttcoder at netcourrier.com
Tue Feb 1 09:02:47 CET 2022

(..).

Also, I was thinking about the desktop and GUI (Nitpicker) and was wondering how hard it might be to change out the graphics to something more "themeable" like LVGL (https://lvgl.io/) but am still learning for which Genode might have these capabilities.

Regarding theming,

I'm not certain Nitpicker per se would have to be involved, it might be in the layer above (decorator), and in apps. In other words, the way I understand it, implementing a theme has 2 parts:

1) the inside of windows, i.e. application realm

2) the window decorations + management

One might say that 1) is the business of applications, e.g. if you're running a Qt application like Falkon or Chromium then it's Qt's job to do theming ;

As to 2) Genode allows writing new "decorator" components I think ? I plan to do just that some day, to have "yellow tab" window decorations, though that's not so high on my priority list ATM.

Cedric

PS - worked a few weeks with LVGL last  year for a client, found it surprisingly nicely done, especially after I finally found a C++ binding on top of the plain C API ; it allows embedded applications to look kinda like "real" applications, and seems very stable ; but say, nothing prevents from using it in Genode (with an appropriate 'port') for applications I guess ; as to using it for the Leitzencentrale and Genode-provided apps and such, I suspect Genode will want to preserve their visual identity ;)