post metal install issue - invalid download url empty

Will Senn will.senn at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 16:22:45 CET 2022

On 12/27/22 4:31 AM, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hi Will,
>
>> On 12/26/22 11:52 AM, Will Senn wrote:
>>> I got Sculpt working on my T430 on metal. I'm able to boot to the
>>> gui and expand my storage, format it, use it, connect to ethernet,
>>> and add genode-labs depot. However, when I click on themed-wm, it
>>> just hangs. When I inspect the log, it says:
>>>
>>> [runtime -> update -> manager] Warning: fetchurl got stuck, respawning
>>> [runtime -> update -> manager] Error: invalid download URL for depot
>>> user:<empty/>
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>
> I think you did everything right. This issue is new to me. It is
> strange that Sculpt apparently knows about the depot user "genodelabs"
> (offered in the depot selection) but then does not recognize it when
> downloading a package.
>
> To investigate, you may try the following.
>
> When selecting the RAM fs for "use", Sculpt will initialize a fresh
> depot with a few default depot users (the team at Genode Labs) there.
> It might be interesting to have a look into the files there. In
> particular, do the files 'pubkey' and 'download' in depot/genodelabs/
> line up with the files you find in Genode's
> repos/gems/sculpt/depot/genodelabs/?
>
> I wonder, does the same effect happen when you select the depot of,
> e.g., cproc, and try to install a package from there?
>
> Are there other errors appearing the log before before the failed
> download? It may be worth going through the log using Vim in the
> inspect view, starting at the end going backwards. I'd look out for
> messages related to the file system, or complaints by the sculpt_manager.
>
>> Apparently, has something to do with the image I built. The stock
>> image works fine. Did I miss a user configuration step in the build
>> an image?
>
> Unless you want to have yourself added as a menu item in the depot
> selection, there should be no change needed.
>
> Cheers
> Norman

Thanks Norman,

I hate to admit this but I blew that install away accidentally (the sdX
order changed during a reboot and I slayed it with dd - taught me to do
`mount | grep sd` before I reuse a dd cut and paste). I tried to
recreate the problem, but wasn't able to get it to do it again :(. The
good news is - stuff's working. I installed Falkon from cproc and it works!

Not to worry though, your tips didn't fall on deaf ears. I appreciate
the insight into troubleshooting you provided here. Particularly the vim
in inspect bits. I also appreciated your note about adding myself to the
depot menu, definitely not what I need.

Will