post metal install issue - invalid download url empty

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Dec 27 11:31:27 CET 2022

Hi Will,

> On 12/26/22 11:52 AM, Will Senn wrote:
>> I got Sculpt working on my T430 on metal. I'm able to boot to the gui
>> and expand my storage, format it, use it, connect to ethernet, and add
>> genode-labs depot. However, when I click on themed-wm, it just hangs.
>> When I inspect the log, it says:
>>
>> [runtime -> update -> manager] Warning: fetchurl got stuck, respawning
>> [runtime -> update -> manager] Error: invalid download URL for depot
>> user:<empty/>
>>
>> Thoughts?

I think you did everything right. This issue is new to me. It is strange
that Sculpt apparently knows about the depot user "genodelabs" (offered
in the depot selection) but then does not recognize it when downloading
a package.

To investigate, you may try the following.

When selecting the RAM fs for "use", Sculpt will initialize a fresh
depot with a few default depot users (the team at Genode Labs) there. It
might be interesting to have a look into the files there. In particular,
do the files 'pubkey' and 'download' in depot/genodelabs/ line up with
the files you find in Genode's repos/gems/sculpt/depot/genodelabs/?

I wonder, does the same effect happen when you select the depot of,
e.g., cproc, and try to install a package from there?

Are there other errors appearing the log before before the failed
download? It may be worth going through the log using Vim in the inspect
view, starting at the end going backwards. I'd look out for messages
related to the file system, or complaints by the sculpt_manager.

> Apparently, has something to do with the image I built. The stock image
> works fine. Did I miss a user configuration step in the build an image?

Unless you want to have yourself added as a menu item in the depot
selection, there should be no change needed.