Component communication over ethernet using VDE switches

Kevin Burton kevin.burton at tum.de
Thu Oct 7 17:15:02 CEST 2021

Hello,

I am currently writing a program which boils down to a few components
communicating over Ethernet using sockets. This works well utilizing the
nic_router functionality, but I would like to emulate a more realistic
scenario with the components being started from their own respective run
scripts.

I know for a fact that this was possible using the VDE switch
functionality of QEMU in late 2015, but can't get it to work now the
same way it used to, which simply consisted of starting the switch in a
terminal and appending

-net vde,sock=<switch location>

to the QEMU args. No errors or warnings are thrown.

Does anybody have recent experience with VDE switches or knows anything
similar that could be used to achieve a more lifelike scenario? If
possible, examples of such run scripts would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards,

Kevin Burton