Wacom Touchscreen / Pen Driver

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Wed Nov 24 02:10:23 CET 2021

On 11/23/21 03:15, Christian Helmuth wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On Mon, Nov 22, 2021 at 19:19:01 CET, John J. Karcher wrote:
>> I was just wondering if anyone has had the itch to finish converting the
>> Wacom touchscreen / pen driver, possibly with the benefit of the newer Linux
>> driver conversion tools?
>>
>> I've tried a couple of times, but it's beyond my skill set (and time to
>> learn).
>
> I do not know of anybody working on Wacom drivers or considering to
> integrate any missing pieces to the current usb_hid driver. We have
> plans to put device drivers for Intel notebook platforms on our agenda
> again in 2022. I'm not entirely sure if USB HID should be part of
> this, at least not highest priority, as the current implementation
> supports all devices available to us very well. First, we will
> concentrate on the base drivers (e.g., XHCI) to support recent
> notebook platforms.
>
> Do you have experiments to share or just some details what is
> missing from the current driver? Is Linux 4.16.3 supporting the device
> your addressing? Are we talking about [1]?
>
> [1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/3997

It's related to that issue, but the crash has been fixed.  The remaining
problem is that the hardware generates a variety of non-standard events,
which confuse nitpicker (e.g., puts it into a state where it no longer
responds to mouse clicks).

Unfortunately, I just tried using brute force (before the Genodians
articles about the new tooling), and don't have any useful results.

Do you think I might be able to borrow code from another driver?  I
could try that, and see what happens.  (I'm running a newer version of
Linux, but I assume that it's worked there for quite a while.)

Any ideas are welcome!

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com