Roadmap 2021

Sebastian Sumpf Sebastian.Sumpf at genode-labs.com
Mon Jan 18 16:11:37 CET 2021

Hi Piotr,

On 1/16/21 10:03 AM, Piotr Tworek wrote:
> The part of the roadmap that interests me the most is the GPU support
> part. This is something I'm really interested in and I do already have
> working mesa 20.1 port for Genode along with both kernel and userspace
> driver parts targetting qemu virtual GPU (virgl). The kernel part was
> borrowed from Linux 5.8 and ported using "forked" dde_linux code.
>
> The main problem is my port is not compatible with existing Genode
> windowing system. My initial goal was to support Linux DRM/KMS APIs in
> Genode. While working on this I decided to omit the KMS part of the
> duo, but DRM parts are complete enough to run mesa EGL/DRM backend
> without major modifications. My end goal is to get Qt EGLFS backend
> working and have GLESv2 accelarated QML GUI running on top of it. The
> only missing part right now is the EGLFS backend port. I'm not there
> yet only because I got distracted by my clang port :P.
>
> Even though my plans are probably not fully aligned with Genode Labs, I
> think the mesa port I have might save you some porting time.

Sounds interesting, we will have to update Mesa anyway this year. Is
there a branch I can take a look at? Our goal this year is to resurrect
our Mesa/GPU multiplexer line of work in order to have native GPU
acceleration back on Genode. I personally have not looked into EGLFS but
it might be worth a try.

Regards,

Sebastian

--