Sculpt 20.11 - Blank Screen On ThinkPad Convertible

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Sun Jan 10 01:11:43 CET 2021

On 1/4/21 9:43 AM, Alexander Boettcher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 04.01.21 02:40, John J. Karcher wrote:
>> I don't know if anyone else is experiencing anything like this, but I am getting a blank screen after booting Sculpt 20.11 on my ThinkPad L380 Yoga.  The mouse pointer does display (and move), so the system is alive, but Leitzentrale never appears.
>>
>> 20.08 worked fine.  FWIW, I built a version from Master last week, but that has the same result.
>>
>> Is this a known issue?  Is there anything I can reconfigure, etc.?
>>

> No, it is not an known issue. I tried 20.11 master and could not encounter the described behavior.
>
> To tackle your issue you may either try
>
> a) to get serial output of the machine - potentially the log messages tell us the reason. If you have a Intel AMT capable machine, [0] helps to setup everything.
> b) use the report_dump mechanism [1], to write the log messages to the USB stick during boot instead via serial line.
> c) use git bisect between 20.08 to 20.11 to find the offending commit.
>
> If you need further help or information with one of the steps please ask.
>
> [0] http://genodians.org/chelmuth/2019-01-16-test-machine
> [1] https://genode.org/documentation/articles/sculpt-vc#Sculpt_as_a_hardware-probing_instrument

Thanks for the suggestions!  I decided to try option B, since I've done
it before, and the others are more involved.  But I'm having trouble,
and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

I've built (Nova) Sculpt ISO and IMG images several times, both from the
"20.11" label and current master, and tested in VirtualBox and on AMD
hardware, with the same results.

1. The "VERSION" file reports "20.09".

2. Trying to fetch some of the depots, including "genodelabs", looks for
version "20.09", and results in "unavailable" errors.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

  Thanks!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com