general improvements for Sculpt

Edoardo Mantovani mantovani.edoardo18 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 2 22:19:50 CET 2021

Hello everyone,

As a first point, I want to apologise for the retard of my email, cause
school in those days I wasn't able to work full time to your project,
as soon as I can, I'll try to remedy that by showing off some of my other
ideas.

1) Thanks for your reply Martin, is this the page you intended?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genode, if yes, don't worry, I've already
started the translation, I'll send the transcript to you for the
publication on Wikipedia.

2) Norman, as already mentioned I wasn't able to build my microsed
interpreter using Genode's libc,  as reference I'll attach a naive version
of microsed, with few modifications from the original minised project, I am
still trying to insert the exceptional "exec" keyword, which handles
Genode's based System calls, Could I know if the Genode's libc version
support the homonymun function exec?
I haven't still tried it yet!
Could I also have general feedback on this? persists still some bugs (as
the -e flag which causes an instant core dump) but I am working for fixing
those issues, The real power up is in the size and speed optimization.

{
SHA512 of microsed:
8b863900afe6f044cc6b33291fcf0630da444916104db24a97dc628dc687841b14fe1260813d7beb6dcd9da4dbfd9805a67764a67de6218ebf046c0a270c40a6
}

3) Regarding to the last part of my first post, I want to explain again the
idea of a new depot system, based on PANs which works as follow:
  - 1] in this initial situation, consider 2 devices: A and B, in one of
those there is installed the Genode os (Sculpt in our case, this is the
device A) while the device B has installed a "server" application, so B can
have linux/Windows/Macos ecc.. but with an official Genode server app.
  - 2] Now let's figure out that B want to offer to A a customized package,
the user of the device A can set up an automatic
       live Depot search which involves the use of bluetooth (or any
general near field communication structure) for scanning the nearest
        depot servers (device B), now, if the device A choose the
respective device B, it starts a key exchange communication where,
        at the end, if the device B is authenticated, the device A can see
and install the device's B packages through the normal Depot   system.
  This idea could be great for portable and embedded devices but, as
obvious, new vulnerability issues will be born.

PS:
İ've read some articles on your site, could I know if you already use a
fuzzing system for verifying the presence of bugs in Sculpt os ?
This can be an interesting topic for future articles, as soon I can I'll
experiment something similar.

Let me know your ideas!

Regards,
Edoardo Mantovani, 2020