Silly Sculpt Build Problem

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Sun Dec 5 23:00:21 CET 2021

Thanks Cedric and Norman for the suggestions . . .

On 12/4/21 04:02, Norman Feske wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> On 03.12.21 16:45, John J. Karcher wrote:
>> Recent updates to Debian Unstable seem to be causing a few minor build
>> problems in Genode.  Automake being updated from 1.15 to 1.16 was simple
>> to solve, but I have another problem that I'm not sure how to solve.
>>
>> Depending of whether I'm building a disk image or an ISO, I get one of
>> the following errors:
>>
>>    Error: 'e2mkdir' command could be not found.
>>
>> or:
>>
>>    Error: 'xorriso' command could be not found.
>>
>> But both of those commands are available, and worked up until recently.
>
> I have the faint suspicion that this may be related to [1].
>
> [1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/issues/4319
>
> The issue was presumably fixed by [2] but maybe one remaining use of
> 'which' slipped through?
>
> [2]
> https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/commit/4cfd954e1e56900ee42adf8d815a39f089e6b879

Interestingly, it was related to this, but there is another facet that I
don't understand.

First, line 550 of "tool/run/run" still contained a "which" command,
which I changed to:

   if { [catch {set path [exec command -v $command]}] == 0} {

Running "command -v e2mkdir" gives "/usr/bin/e2mkdir", so I expected
this change to fix the problem, but it didn't.

Changing line 554 of the same file to manually look in "/usr/bin" did work:

   set dir { /sbin /usr/sbin /usr/local/bin /usr/bin }

I don't know why the second change is necessary, but it works, so I'm
not complaining. :^)

  Thanks again!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com