driver_manager RAM quota for boot_fb_drv

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Tue Oct 13 09:53:21 CEST 2020

Hi Colin,

> Is there a smarter way
> to understand how much RAM is actually needed here, rather than using
> blunt tools like "double until it works"?

to add a bit of background info to Alex' reply, the RAM demand of the
boot_fb_drv increased due to the system-wide change of the pixel format
from 16 to 32 bits per pixel.

[1]
https://genode.org/documentation/release-notes/20.08#Streamlined_pixel_format

As for your question of determining the resource demands, init supports
the reporting of the consumed resources per child. For the dynamic init
instance hosted inside the drivers subsystem, this reporting is enabled
by default. You can find the report at /report/drivers/dynamic/state.
Note that the 'used' and 'avail' values do not add up to the 'assigned'
value. This is because a component lends quota to the services it uses.
I think, the 'avail' value is of most interest as it denotes the RAM
quota wasted.