Resource trading between client and server

Roman Iten roman.iten at gapfruit.com
Thu May 14 11:31:24 CEST 2020

Dear Genodians,

Imagine a certain server component. The memory usage of server depends
on the number of clients and their behavior. Therefore, in order to
create a session to server, a client component has to pay for the
server-side allocations.

So far so easy. Now imagine that server is a child of server_init and
client is a child of client_init. Both init's are siblings. I would
expect that still client - and only client - has to pay for the
server-side allocations. But the session creation fails when client_init
and/or server_init assigned all of it's resources to it's children
(RAM/CAP quota saturation). I'm able to circumvent the session creation
issue (reliably) by configuring (both) init's with resource preservation
that take the server-side allocations into account. From my
understanding this implies that actually the parent components have to
pay at least temporary during session creation. Is my interpretation
correct?

Cheers, Roman