Wifi drivers in Sculpt OS

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at genode-labs.com
Fri Jan 24 11:40:07 CET 2020

Hello Colin,

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 10:17:26PM -0500, Colin Parker wrote:
> […]
> Is bringing drivers over a pretty simple process like copying a few
> files or is it an extensive effort? Thanks in advance for your
> suggestions.

As Stefan already pointed out, unfortunately it indeed is a more
extensive effort.  The 'wifi_drv' component is currently pretty much
tailored to PCIe Intel wireless devices. Apart from porting the driver
for an USB device the USB transport connection itself must be
implemented.

Since the current driver is somewhat entangled the first step would be
the refactoring of the current implementation, i.e., separating its
various parts a bit into

  - component frontend (basically the Nic session provding part)
  - wireless stack (mac80211, cfg80211, …)
  - iwlwifi driver

and hide the PCIe transport portion into the iwlwifi part for now
(although I'm not sure if that's easily achievable). The goal would be
to make the wireless stack transport agnostic so that a USB backend can
be easily added and the frontend, which includes WPA handling, may be
shared by both kinds of devices. The next step is then porting a USB
device driver and making the necessary adjustments.

Yeah, it is a bit of work :-)

Regards Josef

--
Josef Söntgen