Roadmap 2020

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Fri Jan 17 03:07:28 CET 2020

On 1/13/20 7:24 PM, Tomasz Gajewski wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I hesitated to write about my plans for 2020 as in the previous year I
> did not succeed with my goals regarding Genode and Raspberry Pi. It was
> mostly due to underestimating the amount of required work and maybe more
> important due to different personal issues that limited amount of spare
> time to the level that I was merely able to catch up with changes in
> official repository from time to time.
>

> Now with the new year started I'm again full of optimism. After all the
> work done in base-hw (mostly by Stefan) it seems to be much easier and
> in a more natural way to introduce support for different hardware (rpi
> versions in my case) and I hope to be able to finish and cleanup my code
> enough to be incorporated to genode and genode-world repositories during
> this year. I believe that Sculpt like scenarios working on Raspberry Pi
> could arouse interest in Genode.

Yes, this would be great.  I have a Pi 4, which I would love to
experiment with Sculpt, as well as run as a simple Genode-based server.

> On a completely different territory I'd like to investigate
> possibilities to allow working with Genode code in some big programming
> environments - I'm thinking about Eclipse since I have some experience
> with it. I understand that everyone here knows organisation of code in
> Genode repository well enough to know where to look and finding proper
> places for modifications/improvements and I'm also getting used to it
> but I also remember how hard it was for me year ago to browse the
> code. Nowadays programmers are used to have code completion and
> integrated debugging in one environment and I think that such
> integration would lower the amount of time required to start coding for
> Genode and potentially attract new people.

I also would love to have an IDE (whether Eclipse or a lighter
alternative), and I agree that it could help attract more casual developers.

Keep us informed as you progress on these items (and if you want testers)!

  Thanks,

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com