Roadmap 2020

John J. Karcher devuser at alternateapproach.com
Sat Jan 4 02:25:00 CET 2020

Looking back at your summary of 2019, it has been a great year!  I don't
know how you guys accomplish so much in so many different areas.
Congratulations and thanks to everyone on the Genode team!

I think your plans are right on target, and have enjoyed reading
everyone else's ideas also.  I'm afraid I don't have much to add, but
I'll throw out a few thoughts.

My main goals for the year are:

1. Migrate to Genode as my primary desktop
2. Focus on developing native components

In the context of #1:

- I don't know if others feel the same way, but I would feel more
comfortable with a journaling file system (e.g., ext4) for important
data.  (I have no idea how big of a task this is)

- I'd like to echo Stephan's items about the window manager handling
large numbers of windows; I'd be curious to hear what the ideas are on
this (multiple "workspaces" is the first thing that comes to my mind)

- Borrowing from Stephan again, porting an e-mail client would seem like
a good way to get rid of a needless VM; if anyone works on this, I will
be happy to be a tester

Regarding #2:

- To state the obvious, I will be avidly following the continuing
adventures of Goa and genodians.org

- Like TTCoder, I am also very interested in your ideas for extending
the GUI stack; even if I can't contribute much code, I will be happy to
be an early tester

And just for curiosity, can you share any info on your Sculpt UI ideas,
especially "Replacing Unix/Vim-based interface of the Leitzentrale with
a graphical user interface"?

  Thanks again!

   John J. Karcher
   devuser at alternateapproach.com