whether genode c++ support RTTI

Christian Helmuth christian.helmuth at genode-labs.com
Wed Dec 9 08:06:46 CET 2020

Hello,

welcome to the list.

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 10:39:03 CET, yadong.li wrote:
> I am a newer, I have some question about genode about c++ RTTI My
> test command is “make -C build/x86_32 KERNEL=sel4 BOARD=pc
> run/demo”, my genode version is “19.02”

First, I strongly suggest you update Genode to version 20.11 esp.
because we updated our tool chain with 19.05 and can longer support
older versions.

> I add “typeid”, compile warning “must inclue <typeinfo>”, but this
> must compile add “stdcxx” lib, If add stdcxx, they need
> “Libc::Component::construct”, it is conflict with
> “Component::construct” of genode How can I resolve it, or Is there
> some demo support c++RTTI ?

The C++ RTTI support for the core language features like
dynamic_cast<>() is regularly used by the base components and works as
expected. What we skipped for the base library are more complex APIs
that need the C++ runtime library stdcxx. The background of this
decision is that the stdcxx library comes with an axiomatic
requirement on a complete working C runtime, which we do not want to
provide in the base library. Therefore, components depending on
high-level C++ APIs from stdcxx transitively depend on libc. Please
have a look at [1] for a basic stdcxx component that states its
library dependencies in target.mk as 'stdcxx' and 'posix' [2]. The
latter is used to bootstrap standard C/C++ programs with a main()
routine in contrast to Libc::Component::construct() used as startup
hook by the libc.

Long story short: If you want to change a base component that uses
the Genode base library only to a stdcxx (or libc) component, you have
to replace the Component:construct() startup routine by
Libc::Component::construct(). Writing this I personally get the
feeling that "adding typeid" is a weak motivation for that.

[1] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/tree/master/repos/libports/src/test/stdcxx
[2] https://github.com/genodelabs/genode/blob/master/repos/libports/src/test/stdcxx/target.mk

Christian Helmuth
Genode Labs