Run SculptOS in i.MX8MQ-EVK

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Fri Dec 4 14:27:33 CET 2020

Hello Christo,

On Fri, Dec 04, 2020 at 11:50:41AM +0000, fixed-term.christo.bita at sojus-software.de wrote:
> Hello all together,
> according to "Genode OS Framework release 20.11"  SculptOS can run on the i.MX8MQ EVK board.
> I wanted to run the example so I did the following steps:
> 1)start the run Sculpt run-script                                                                                                                                                                                                          tool/create_builddir arm_v8a                                                                                                                                                                                          cd build/arm_v8a                                                                                                                                                                                               make run/sculpt KERNEL=hw BOARD=imx8q_evk
> 	-after this a have an "image.elf" file in "BUILD_DIR/var/run/sculpt/boot" directory.
>
> 2)copy in the SD-Card
> dd if=image.elf of=/dev/"mySDcard" bs=1k seek=33 conv=fsync
>
> 3)select the boot device in the board
>  Boot-Mode[3:0] = 0011 (SD card)
> The board is connected to a HDMI monitor. Unfortunately I don't get any log information.
> Maybe am I missing some middle steps or doing something wrong?
> Any help is very welcomed!

I'm not sure how your bootloader configuration looks like. The way we
use the i.MX8 EVK is by reading an uImage via network or from the
filesystem of the SD-card and use the bootm command then.

We do not boot an ELF image directly, nor do we copy it to a fixed
block on the SD-card. Please, verify whether your boot-method works
for more simple scenarios, e.g., our log run-script first.

Alternatively, if you want to follow our way of booting, you have to
create an uImage first. Just add the following to your RUN_OPT
environment variable:

  RUN_OPT += --include image/uboot

either on the commandline or inside the 'etc/build.conf' in your
build-directory.

Next load it via network inside u-boot with the 'tftp' command, or
copy it to your SD-card's first partition and use either 'fatload' or
'ext2load' to read it from their, dependent on the filesystem present.
As last step you start it by 'bootm'. In the following you see my boot
sequence. Of course, it is assumed that your SD-card has u-boot
already installed:

  usb start
  dhcp
  setenv serverip 10.0.0.17