I/O Terminal for VM on Imx8q-evk

Stefan Kalkowski stefan.kalkowski at genode-labs.com
Mon Apr 20 14:07:04 CEST 2020

Hi Chris,

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:49:08PM +0200, Chris Hofer wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm continuously exploring for my thesis the Genode virtualization on the
> Imx8q-evk board. Currently the vmm_arm-runscript only allows to specify a
> static command, which is repeatedly sent to the VM after it booted. In order
> to run some benchmarks on the VM, I would like to interact with the VM by
> sending dynamically input.
>
> Is there a way to interactively send input to the TTY of the VM via e.g. the
> serial interface of the Imx8q-evk? If there is none, can you think of an
> easy way to build it?

Well, in the example the VM's terminal session is coupled with the
terminal session of 'test-terminal_expect_send' via the
'terminal_crosslink' component, which as the name indicates links two
terminal clients together. The 'test-terminal_expect_send' just waits
for a terminal prompt and whenever it recognizes one prints 'ls'.

Of course, you can replace the test component with some other terminal
component, e.g. the 'tcp_terminal' component, which either listens to
a TCP port, or connects to one, and then routes all characters in
between terminal and network connection. So it is like a telnet
terminal. In general, it also possible to ass a "UART to terminal"
component, but as the only UART connector is used by the debug output
of the kernel/core, you would need to silent those, which is pretty
annoying to have no indication if something goes wrong ;-). On the
other hand, I would strongly discourage you from simultanously using
the UART by kernel and a terminal component.

I hope this helps you further?!

Best regards
Stefan

> Best,