Shutdown

Colin Parker cvparker at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 16:00:47 CEST 2020

Hello,
    Can I ask two quick related questions?

> Until then, the usual procedure is to manually shut down VMs and
> applications, wait a few seconds (cached file-system data is written
> back every 10 seconds), and turn off the machine manually (or via the
> ACPI-CA mechanism).

1) I have been using Sculpt on real hardware. What I do for shutdown is to
open "Storage" under "Components" and de-select "Use" on my primary
"GENODE*" partition. I assumed that this would cause any pending file
operations to complete, similar to a UNIX "sudo umount". Is that right?

2) Sometimes I do feel the need to reboot Sculpt, but potentially this is
not completely necessary if there were a way to restart certain services.
Is it possible to restart internal components? Most common culprits for me
would be usb_drv, and the depot-related components. Ideally this could be
done without the runtime system killing my VMs, but I suspect that's asking
too much.

Regards,
Colin