Shutdown

Norman Feske norman.feske at genode-labs.com
Fri Apr 17 12:21:20 CEST 2020

Hello,

On 16.04.20 09:23, Shlomo Pongratz wrote:
> I'm running sculpt-20.02.img on QEMU and I wonder if the only way to
> shutdown sculpt is to kill QEMU?
>
> Is it the same for real HW (e.g. to push the reset button)?
>
> I'm sure it is somewhere in the documentation but I've failed to find it.

I wonder, why would you ever want to shut down a running Sculpt system?	;-)

Joking aside, the answer to your question is currently not very compelling:

There is a way to power off the system once you deploy an ACPI driver.
Please check out the depot of alex-ab for the corresponding component
(System -> ACPI-CA). The component reports various ACPI information
(aggregated in the report fs once the component is running) and also
watches the system state as defined in /config/system. When changing the
content to '<system state="poweroff"/>', the ACPI-CA driver will power
off your machine.

That said, this raw mechanism is not a proper shutdown procedure. In
particular, it does not imply the writing-back of data cached in a
file-system server. This problem calls for an architectural answer,
which is on our road map [1] for the 20.11 release (the item "Sculpt:
component lifetime management, shutdown protocol").

[1] https://genode.org/about/road-map

Until then, the usual procedure is to manually shut down VMs and
applications, wait a few seconds (cached file-system data is written
back every 10 seconds), and turn off the machine manually (or via the
ACPI-CA mechanism).