Thread switching in Genode/seL4 and registers and utcb access problem

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Fri Sep 27 19:37:29 CEST 2019

Hello Alexander,

I think we have to clarify a few things.

The direct invocation of kernel syscalls is not encouraged on Genode
applications, since the whole point about Genode is to have a operating
system framework running _portable code_ across more than 7 microkernels
(seL4, Fiasco.OC, NOVA, Genode's hw-kernel and our retirees OKL4,
Pistachio and Fiasco/L4) and even Linux (base-linux). It is a
fundamental concern to be kernel-independent.

That being said, we avoid as far as possible to give Genode applications
kernel specific capabilities at hand. For Genode/seL4 we intentionally
don't give the seL4 thread capabilities to the applications. That means
you can't succeed in invoking seL4_TCB_ReadRegisters or
seL4_TCB_WriteRegisters syscalls directly. So, as pointed out above - it
is a feature, not a bug.

Instead, please consider the usage of Genode interfaces [1] and more
portable approaches [0] that work across kernels.

Best regards,

Alexander Boettcher.

[0] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2019-September/006931.html
[1] https://lists.genode.org/pipermail/users/2019-September/006930.html