Building and executing run scripts within Sculpt

Josef Söntgen josef.soentgen at genode-labs.com
Fri May 31 11:12:37 CEST 2019

Hi,

* Valery V. Sedletski via users <users at lists.genode.org> [2019-05-31 06:03:37 +0300]:
> Joel Desermeau via users wrote:
> > Forgive me if this is a stupid question...
> >
> > So, I've been using Sculpt CE with NOVA since it was released an am
> > amazed at what can be done with such a small amount of people. It's very
> > impressive! Looking forward to the next release.
> >
> > So, how can I setup a Genode development environment within Sculpt? I
> > want to test out some run scripts from the world repository without
> > needing to setup an Ubuntu 16.04 dev environment
> >
> > Thanks :3
> You can try installing a "noux-build-x86" depot package (which is available
> in blarson's depot, for example). Using it, it is possible to build some
> packages. It includes bash, coreutils, make, gcc and other packages, though,
> it has "expect" package missing, which is required to execute run scripts.
> So, currently, you cannot start any run scripts from Genode's build system,
> though, you can build any code from the disk, like this, for example:
>
> # make server/nitpicker
>
> will build Nitpicker GUI server. But commands like
>
> # make KERNEL=foc run/demo
>
> will not work. Also, what is missing is a git client to download Genode
> sources. But it is possible to download them from Linux to a Genode
> partition, and, after rebooting into Sculpt, try building some code.

For the time being, using a GNU/Linux VM to build the components and
then using either 9P or shared-folders to deploy them locally is still
the recommended way and, depending on which components you want to build,
the only way as a “native” build environment will lack the required tools
(especially preparing the sources might not be possible).

(It goes without saying that having a complete build environment in Sculpt
is something we are also interested in but there is currently nobody working
on that AFAIK.)

So, as a stepping stone, I would suggest to still setup a VM in addition
to follwing Valery's notes (I haven't used Ben's pkg myself yet, so I don't
know if it works with 19.05) and when you encounter obstacles in the build
environment, fall back to the VM or rather use that to resolve them. On
that account I would really appreciate if you would somehow document your
findings when you follow this direction.

Regards
Josef

--
Josef Söntgen