HnH project: launch_pdf_reader

Guido Witmond guido at witmond.nl
Sun May 26 22:54:08 CEST 2019

Hi Genodians,

With some pride, I present the results of my Hack'n'Hike project:
'launch_pdf_reader'.

My goal is to have a shared directory between a Linux VM and the Genode
environment. Whenever the linux world puts a PDF file into the shared
folder, a Genode process picks it up and starts a PDF viewer to render
it inside a Genode sandbox.

As there is no PDF rendering on Linux (or Windows VM, if that's your
thing), it eliminates parser bugs that could be used to attack a user.
These attacks abuse of the Ambient Authority model of Linux, also called
the Confused Deputy problem.

This makes pdf rendering on Linux as easy - and secure - as
''/bin/cp $PDF $SHARE''

The repo lives at: https://github.com/gwitmond/genode-launch-pdf-reader

With regards,

Guido.