can't run noux_bash on Genode/seL4

Alexander Boettcher alexander.boettcher at genode-labs.com
Fri Jul 12 10:17:56 CEST 2019

Hello,

On 12.07.19 00:28, Alexander Tormasov via users wrote:
> This is my first attempt to run Genode over seL4 inside VM.

welcome.

> I take latest 19.05 version of Genode as recommended.
>
> I followed the instruction and now compile (in vmware vm with ubuntu, 64 bit) and able to run demo both inside vmware and qemu in my MacOS notebook.
> While I can say that work of demo is pretty unstable, it hangs under any attempt to run from launchpad nitpicker (just freeze mouse, no messages in the stdout log on host). It does not show any other windows except launcher, the only log message are:
> [init -> scout -> launchpad] starting testnit with quota 5896K
> [init -> scout -> launchpad] using unique child name "testnit"
> [init -> nitpicker] resource_request: ram_quota=0, cap_quota=4
> [init] child "nitpicker" requests resources: ram_quota=0, cap_quota=4

The GUI service -nitpicker- asks for more resources (cap_quota != 0) but
nobody is answering the request (in this demo scenario) - because of
that the GUI is not responding/available anymore.

You may increase in repos/os/run/demo.run the granted cap quota by
changing the caps value, look for

<start name="nitpicker" caps="110">

> I make run/noux_bash  and run/noux_vim iso.
> both of them started successfully, but show me only black screen (both in vmware and qemu 3.1_01).
> Logs seems to be without errors… see below
>
> How I can see terminal prompt inside vm window ?

> [init -> drivers] Warning: input_filter assigned caps (90) exceed
available caps (46)

This hints also for a mis-configuration. Try to increase the caps in
repos/ports/run/noux_vim.run at the drivers node:

<start name="drivers" caps="1000">

> Warning: PD (init -> drivers -> input_filter) cap limit (used=36, limit=37) exceeded during transfer_quota(3)
> [init -> drivers -> input_filter] resource_request: cap_quota=3
> [init -> drivers] child "input_filter" requests resources: cap_quota=3

If the increase of caps for the drivers node is not sufficient, you
would need to adjust
repos/os/recipes/raw/drivers_interactive-pc/drivers.config and rebuild
the package.

The interactive scenarios we don't regularly manually execute for
-Genode/seL4-, so you may encounter such resource requests for such non
automated run scenarios again.

Hope it helps,

Alex.

--
Alexander Boettcher
Genode Labs

https://www.genode-labs.com - https://www.genode.org

Genode Labs GmbH - Amtsgericht Dresden - HRB 28424 - Sitz Dresden