Amateur Radio

Tyrell Jentink tyrell at jentink.net
Tue Jan 29 17:25:16 CET 2019

Hello everyone, I am new to this mailing list, and to Genode generally; I
will probably be doing most of my experiments in the near future with a
Raspberry Pi, and I'm likely to be fairly quiet about it, but I haven't
actually fired anything up yet.

My background is with Linux, and I anticipate a bit of discomfort as I try
to adapt to the Genode Way...

My interest is largely in Amateur Radio; The Linux community has a long
history of supporting Amateur Radio with protocol stacks (Such as AX.25)
and both hardware and virtual Terminal Node Controllers in the kernel.
There are also userland implimentations. Some of those run on Windows...
some are open source... In other words, lots of code is out there... In
various levels of loyalty to the Unix philosophy...

Putting it in the kernel may have never made sense... And the "Genode Way"
has value in organizing the complexity of the AX.25 networking stack,
similar to how it separates the organization of the Ethernet stack... How
much, if any, actually belongs in Genode and/or Sculpt OS is beyond me...
It all probably deserves to be an installable package, rather than a core
package... But it probably also benefits from Capabilities, as it will
interface with hardware, so probably more than just an untrusted Linux
instance...

Fldigi also seems like it could benefit from being broken apart into
smaller components, with a stronger capability based trust model... Or not,
I really don't know...

Anyway... I'm new... And I'm still trying to wrap my head around the
"Right" way to think about these things... Are there any other hams out
there interested in bouncing around ideas?

73,
Tyrell Jentink, KD7TKJ